Sunday, February 06, 2005

Uuuuuuunh-Wuuuh!

I don't normally take advantage of my school's extracurricular offerings, so when I signed up for a four-week seminar called "acting skills for lawyers," I shouldn't have been surprised when my extra-curricular activity took advantage of me.

It makes sense that attorneys should learn a bit of method acting. I always thought TV lawyers were a lot more convincing than the genuine article. Maybe if I went to the next three sessions (I won't) I would learn some of those skills. We spent the first hour-and-a-half of the three-hour session practicing relaxation techniques, which means we just went limp in our chairs. Seeing as I've been training myself not to fall asleep in those same chairs for the past five months, the exercise might have been counter-productive. If we were having any trouble relaxing, the solution was to emit a sort of shout-grunt from deep within our chests. We were told by our instructor, a diminutive, congenial hippy from woodstock, that these noises would help us relax. I'm not so sure. Since hearing her primal bark, I haven't been able to sleep, let alone relax.

Next week is improv, which I think would probably be a lot of fun. In the meantime, our instructor told us to practice our noises in the shower: I haven't, and there's nothing on this earth that could make me. I'll be damned if I'm going to go to class unprepared, so I'm going to have to hear about it second hand, I'm afraid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home