Monday, February 21, 2005

Diary of a Long Night

Our Moot Court brief is due tomorrow afternoon at 2:00. To celebrate that fact, I've decided to stay up all night finishing it. I thought I'd update this post every now and then over the next 16 hours to let our readers (who don't comment nearly as often as they should) follow how things are going.

Monday, 10:21 PM
I'm writing my statement of the case. Most of my classmates did this over a week ago, received the professor's comments, and will now turn them back in. That was the smart thing to do. I've just opened my 2-litre bottle of Pepsi, which I'm drinking out of a wine glass because it's the only clean dish left in my apartment. I'm saving the coffee for later and reserving the cocaine for emergencies.

Tuesday, 12:55 AM
My case is stated, and now I'm on to refining my argument section. I'm thinking I should have started with a caffeine source other than Pepsi. I now have a sticky film on my teeth, diabetes, and am taking too many bathroom breaks. At least coffee would have left me with only one of those problems. My IM window shows me that Lady-Duff is also putting in a late night. OE is in the international moot court section, and out of deference to the fact that the international community always takes longer to get things done, doesn't have to turn her brief in for another week.

Tuesday, 3:43 AM
Still deep in the bowels of my argument and it's as bad a place to be as it sounds. I'm still very much wide awake, however, and things are starting to come together. It's still one of the worst pieces of work I've ever put a pseudonym to, but I'm caring less and less as the hours tick by. All indications are that Lady-Duff is also still going strong, though reports indicate she is eating cookie dough straight from the tube.

Tuesday, 6:37 AM
The argument is finished. I'm now working on the cite-checking and the table of authorities; stuff which I normally wouldn't mind but which requires an attention to detail I'm not sure I'm capable of right now. I've got a lot of sugar in me, so I've put off food until 9:00 or so, at which time I've got a nice pot of coffee and a nutella sandwich waiting for me.

Tuesday, 9:38 AM
That's as good as it's going to get. I'm worried I'm going to accidentally oversleep and miss the deadline, so I'm just going to get dressed, go to school, turn this thing in and be done with it. I smell terrible. I can't say enough good things about coffee. I didn't want to make moot court anyway. Goodnight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home