Monday, March 07, 2005

Loving the Latin

There are dozens of latin phrases that I had some vague idea existed before school started. I had no idea what they meant, but I knew they were floating out there somewhere, and I knew that they were latin.

They all sounded a lot more important than they actually are. Res ipsa loquitor means "the thing speaks for itself," which in turn means that some accidents are so weird that somebody must have screwed up. Nothing like the law to obscure things under procedure and language.

Luckily, two out of the next three cases in conlaw are about sodomy laws (no latin at all). I can already hear how uncomfortable Justice Scalia is. That's how we spice things up here at 250 Joralemon.

5 Comments:

Blogger menlove said...

hey guys, thanks for listing the link to my page among the "co-counsel" section of your page. that's totally decent of you. any tips on how i can create a similar sidebar on menlovian?

keep on keepin' on,

-menlove

1:56 AM  
Blogger Saucy Intruder said...

You have to edit the template section. I would paste the relevant code here, but comments can't contain that kind of HTML. I emailed you, menlove. Just promise to keep my identity a secret! I don't want anyone to know that I'm Mark.

7:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say that I got excited there for a second. I actually thought you meant latin as in latinas...god I love latinas.

9:22 AM  
Blogger menlove said...

thanks a ton, saucy...

12:21 PM  
Blogger Saucy Intruder said...

anytime, menlove

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home